Basketball is the most popular youth sport in the US. A study by the National Athletic Trainers Association found that 22% of male basketball players have an injury that causes them to miss playing time each year. 42% of the time, that injury is to the ankle or foot, making this the most injured area.
Some other common injuries to basketball players include:
- This should include baseline testing of strength, ROM, and a baseline concussion test
- The annual physical mentioned above should identify areas needing addressed here. Your PT or other professional can help design a training a program to address your specific needs
- This can be accomplished with off-season strength and conditioning as well as participation in injury prevention programs to work on jumping and landing skills
- Taking time off throughout the season and the year will let the body recover
- Especially when playing basketball on outside courts - the court may not be smooth and even everywhere.
To access the complete mareting toolkit associated with this article, including a press release, social media posts, and shareable images, visit the PPS Marketing Resources page.